Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Too much of a good thing.

Most people would complain if their journey to work doubled. Not so this cyclist: I've found a way to work that's twice as far - which on a bike means twice the fun. The Capital City Trail loops around the Melbourne CBD following the Yarra River from the Docklands to the back of Collingwood. It's an easy way for me to turn a what's normally 15km ride into a 30km ride, which is something I'm really enjoying these long sunny summer days. There's even a few hills, which is a rarity for Melbourne.

The only drawback is the number of pedestrians out and about - particularly in the afternoons. Even with the best will in the world it's hard not to become frustrated with people who just refuse to share the shared paths, who have their dogs off leash or who suddenly veer across the track. Its hard to look out for your own safety and their when there's a minority who just don't want to take any responsibility. A few months back I followed a mountain bike rider who yelled abuse at pedestrians as he approached. I don't approve of that one bit, but I'm beginning to understand. He'd done one too many rides on the Capital City Trail.

88km for far this year.

1 comment:

Treadly and Me said...

I know what you mean. On the Yarra and Gardiners Creek trails the "regulars" (both cyclists and pedestrians) get along fine together. But at this time of year you get plenty of fair-weather exercisers who don't even realise that they're not playing fair.

And once you get off the Yarra Trail, the Capital City Trail doesn't carry as many commuters so the pedestrians aren't as used to sharing anyway.

But I really can't come at riders outright abusing pedestrians. On rare occasions I do get someone (usually in a bunch, showing off to the others) who wilfully and deliberately blocks me, despite my repeatedly ringing the bell. Even then, the most aggro I get is to loudly put the question that answers itself: "So, I'll just go around you on the grass, shall I?"