Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Red light runners

My office has moved across town, so I've had to find a new route to work. We were down the cheap end of Collins Street, we're now in East Melbourne/Collingwood. My new ride involves several on-road paths, a set of stairs, crossing three tram tracks and a long run down busy Brunswick Street.

What amazes me is the number of cyclists running red lights. Both mornings so far I've seen half a dozen people who should know better run reds along Brunswick Street. Scofflaw cyclists don't win us any friends among motorists.

It's dangerous too. In 1986 I ran a red light in Auckland, New Zealand and was hit by a bus. I broke my fall with my face. Fortunately I had a helmet on. It's probably not the best way to learn, but it's a lesson I haven't had to learn twice.


Photo from Flickr

No comments: