Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The World's Slowest Hill Climber

There are five people in Hobart right now who are probably too stunned to speak today - five tortured souls whose every utterance is broken by racking sobs and rolling tears. Their long silences are punctuated by cries of `Why? Why?'. They can't eat, sleep or work, poor souls. Life holds no joy. For they have been beaten by the World's Slowest Hill Climber.

Yes, these five people have been measured against the mountain and found wanting. You read it here first: I beat five people in the Mt Wellington Time Trial on the weekend.

Now I'm a glass half-full kind of guy. Many people would look at the result sheet and suggest I came 144th out of 149 starters. But I would counter that I probably won the 100kg plus division. Regardless of the fact that I was passed by elderly and disabled riders (and worse, people on mountain bikes) on the gruelling 20km long 1,250 metre ascent, the people who finished ahead of me were all elite racers and were probably even trying to boot. (I won't even mention cycling's terrible doping problem). I just wanted to finish without stopping for a heart attack on the way up. The photo above makes me look far more gritty and determined than I actually was, which is nice. So I finished, had a nice ride, enjoyed the views and I've got a time to blitz next year. I'd call that mission accomplished.

(Ride photo from Clive Roper Photography.)

948km so far this year.

4 comments:

Treadly and Me said...

Was one of the people you beat the bloke in the back ground with the mullet? I've got to say your machine looks way hotter than theirs.

David Killick said...

Why thank you kindly. No, mullet boy and his posse passed me a couple of times on the way up. They were out taking photos of their fancy motor. I must say it did have a stunning paint job. But anyone can drive up Mt Wellington. It takes a special kind of madness to ride up.

Hamish said...

Well done, tough climb... and freezing up the top usually

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.